Coatis Aid Juvenile Delinquents


An interesting behavior, previously unknown except in humans, has turned up in the coati (or coatimundi). It appears that the females sometimes side with unrelated juveniles against their own relatives. 


Females Coatis Help Unrelated Offspring Steal Food | LiveScience


"Coatis, which are found in South America, are a highly social species related to the raccoon and known for being particularly aggressive, especially when it comes to food. They live in cohesive groups of up to 65 individuals that usually include only a single adult male.


Over the course of the three-year study, Hirsch monitored the behavior of 150 individual coatis in four social groups in Iguazu National Park in Argentina. Using genetic data, he found that in 57 percent of the cases in which an adult female helped a juvenile during an aggressive encounter, the female was not the mother of the juvenile."

11 comments:

  1. Gotta love coatis...for some weird reason, these guys are called "tejón" around here, even though "tejón" means "badger" and there ARE real badgers in Mexico.
    I remember my grandmother used to have one as a pet; unfortunately their energy levels are too high and they can hardly be restrained; this one ended up strangling itself when left tethered to a chair :S

    Some people in small towns have told me about dogs literally shred to pieces by defensive coatis, tho, so maybe they aren´t a good pet choice at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did your grandmother feed her coati? I remember seeing one in a documentary eating a tarantula. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will eat anything, really. I'll ask her what she fed it next time I speak to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked; it seems that the coati ate just like another member of the family; it would eat everything a human would. Fortunately, there wasn´t as much junk in the everyday diet back then, compared to nowadays (my sister's cats are obsessed with chocolate and snack cakes as much as they are with ham and tuna fish...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a cat eat sweets (not that I ever offered).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, they really shouldn´t be eating those things. The interesting part is that according to most experts, cat's can´t taste sweet due to a lack of the necessary receptors. Needless to say, I find that hard to believe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. I guess cats are OK with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually its supossed to be at least as toxic to cats as it is to dogs. Then again, plenty of things we humans eat/drink are supossed to be toxic, yet we love them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about onions? I've always read they are supposed to be bad for cats. As a kid I used to pull up all the wild onions I found in our yard. Of course my cat was meanwhile dining at the neighbor's goldfish pond. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, onion is toxic supossedly to both dogs and cats, and especially cats, but since there aren´t wild onions in our yard and our cats are nowhere near as interested in onion as they are in chocolate, I never worry about that too much...

      Delete
    2. I, too, am far more interested in chocolate than in onions. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...