Bull Shark Bites Off Fisherman's Hand


In Shark Attacks: Inside the Mind of the Ocean's Most Terrifying Predator, I mention the bull shark's habit of removing human hands. Today's news provides another gruesome instance. The story linked below is in Spanish, but Croconut gives us the gist in English:


Tiburón le devora una mano:

In Boca de la Leña, a beach in the state of Guerrero, Mexico, a bull shark attacked a fisherman, biting off his left hand. 


According to Juan Mendoza, the fisherman partner to Benigno, the attacked man, both were diving five meters from the shore, fishing for snook, when suddenly a shark appeared. According to Juan, when he saw the shark, it already had his partner's hand in its mouth; it didn´t return for a second attack-- it "swam away eating his hand". 


After the attack, Juan dragged Benigno out of the water and took him to the hospital, where he remains in critical condition due to blood loss. He could, however, describe the moment of the attack to the press; "I didn´t feel when the shark bit my hand off; we were fishing and I didn´t even see it coming; my partner Juan took me and brought me quickly to the hospital, I was dizzy for all the blood I lost but thank God I'm OK; I will continue fishing because it's the only thing I know and I have a family to maintain". 


This is the first shark attack in a Guerrero beach in four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...